- This event has passed.
Radical Futures, United Fronts: Global Women’s Resistance against State Violence and Repression
December 12, 2019 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Join GABRIELA Oakland and Center for Political Education on Thursday, December 12th, from 7-9pm, for “Radical Futures, United Fronts: Global Women’s Resistance Against State Violence & Repression.” This panel discussion will bridge individual struggles against ongoing and escalating policing, militarization, and repression at home and around the globe. Panelists will speak to the political fights against rising authoritarianism and repression in Palestine, the Philippines, Venezuela, and our own backyards in Oakland to shed light onto the strength of our movements and the tacit threats it poses to the ruling class.
With state violence, repression, and fascism on the rise, this panel will explore questions such as:
• What are the distinct and shared manifestations of authoritarianism and escalating repression that we face? What are the particular experiences of women and children in these struggles?
• How are we addressing targeted attacks against human rights defenders, organizers, and activists? How might solidarity across our movements strengthen these efforts of collective care and safety?
• What radical futures do we envision? How might we challenge the criminalization of political opposition and dissent while envisioning such futures?
• How might the practice of naming our shared enemy and uplifting our united front work propel us further forward into action?
Featuring the following speakers:
- Lara Kiswani, Executive Director of the Arab Resource & Organizing Center (AROC)
- Desiree Mims, Black Organizing Project
- Carolina Morales, Venezuelan Activist
- Irma Shauf-Bajar, Chair of GABRIELA USA
- Moderator: Claire Valderama-Wallace, Community Health Nursing Faculty at CSUEB & External Educational Development Chair of GABRIELA Oakland
For more information and accessibility information, follow this link.