- This event has passed.
Boosting People Power: Bay Area Organizers Respond to COVID-19
April 2, 2020 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Boosting People Power:
Bay Area Organizers Respond to COVID-19 Thursday, April 2
Click Here to Register for Zoom Link
Join Center for Political Education for an online forum on how Bay Area-based organizations are building power during the current economic and public health crisis.
Featured speakers include:
- Michelle Gutierrez-Vo, RN, Board Member, California Nurses Association
- Joyce Lam, political director, Chinese Progressive Association
- Vanessa Moses, executive director of Causa Justa :: Just Cause
- Diana Block, member of California Coalition for Women Prisoners
- Jessica Lehman, executive director of Senior Disability Action
As COVID-19 courses around the globe, the rising death toll and mounting economic crisis lay bare capitalism’s utter inability to keep us safe. As healthcare workers, farm workers, delivery drivers, grocery workers, and public service workers risk their lives to ensure our collective wellbeing, the Trump administration continues to bail out Wall Street, obstruct the provision of basic medical necessities, and refuse the necessary social supports to keep people safe. Meanwhile, the people of countries such as Iran, Cuba, and Venezuela are suffering under US-imposed economic sanctions that have been steadily eroding their economies and negatively impacting the provision of medical care.
Social movements are also confronting these crises. As shelter-in-place orders roll out across the US, organizers are figuring out creative ways of practicing physical distancing while caring for our communities, building power, forging new alliances, and pushing for bold demands with the possibility to expand the boundaries of what’s politically possible.
Join us for a moderated conversation with local organizers to learn more about:
- how Bay Area movements are responding to the pandemic
- how to organize creatively under the conditions of physical and social distancing
- some concrete ways of supporting campaigns pushing forward transformative demands
- how local movements are engaging with the current electoral cycle to make change at all levels of governance
- how to be in meaningful solidarity with the working-class and communities of color across the world, especially those most impacted by U.S. imperialism.
If you have questions or specific accessibility needs, please email us directly at center-at-politicaleducation.org